Rebecca's Reviews > The Knife of Never Letting Go

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Apr 08, 12

Read in April, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This is dystopian youth fiction at its finest. Todd is the last boy in Prentisstown in the "New World" where everyone can hear your thoughts. There are no women in Prentisstown, so when Todd finds a girl in the swamp, things get interesting quickly. Todd is sent away by his caregivers because without him, there is hope that the men of Prentisstown cannot raise their army and take over the rest of the New World.

The characters are great-- Todd is a humble, scared, curious kid who doesn't quite know what to do with the information that comes at him. Viola is timid, yet very strong (to learn more about her you should definatly read the short-story prequel to the series: The New World) before you read this book. The only character I couldn't stand was manchee, the dog. I HATED the dog and was actually glad when he was finally killed off. His thoughts about poo and his constant whining were a distraction to the story line, and did not add anything significant to the plot.

The coloquialisms are written in oddly and the changes in spelling don't really belie any difference in pronunciation and should have been left out of the narrative or included only in direct quotes or thoughts. Other than that the writing is well done and the plot unfolds brilliantly.

The cliffhanger ending however? Painful for the reader. I was glad I had already purchased the second book so I didn't have to wait to find out what happened next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knife of Never Letting Go.