Denise Strand's Reviews > Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned by Sydney Logan

Jul 21, 12

Read from July 19 to 21, 2012

Many many thanks go out to Sydney Logan for giving me an ARC of 'Lessons Learned'

Now where to start?... This is a really hard review for me to write. Being atheist and also living my life in a way that I personally feel like its wrong to judge. Also being surround by non-judgemental friends/family. I found myself continuously getting so angry and frustrated when I was reading this book. For sure, remind me that if this is how small towns operate, then I shall never ever move to one. The narrow mindedness and harsh views disturbed me if I'm being honest. I could go into the whole point that just because the bible, a man made book, says it... Doesn't make it so. But then in a way if I do that, it's like forcing my non-beliefs on the reader of this review. Everyone is right to their own opinion and beliefs, but to bully, slander and harass a boy and make him an outcast for being gay, is just horrid. I know it exists and sadly it will never go away. But until the older people stop schooling the younger generation on what they think is the wrongs of the world. Then it sadly revolves like a never ending cycle.

I love how with Sarah and Lucas, while they don't altogether agree with Matts life choice, they still support him, love him and more importantly accept him for who he is. In their eyes there's no lines or boundaries.

It was heart wrenching to read about Matts turmoil. I cried multiple times in sympathy with him. I wanted to throw my kindle off a wall and then other times I wanted to kick everyone's asses who made his life miserable. That struggle of knowing you're gay, coming out and dealing with it on a normal level is such an emotional thing to go through. Not gaining acceptance is probable one of the worst things of all. I'm glad that no matter what Matts mother stood by his side through thick and thin.

Lucas... Everyone needs a lucas in their life. He's just the most amazing man ever. Warm, loving and caring and worships Sarah from the day they meet.

Sarah is just one strong female. She's been through and dealt with so much. I'm just glad she stood up for herself and those she loves. She never conformed to her hometowns standards and she fights for those she loves.

I think overall I loved this book for the many different emotions it pulled me through. I laughed, cried, sobbed, got angry (a lot) and sighed (a lot)... Lucas will do that to you.

It's written beautifully, flowed beautifully and for a debut novel I'm thoroughly impressed. Can't wait to see what comes next from Sydney Logan!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lessons Learned.

07/19/2012
21.0% "I'm in love with Lucas already and I just want to hug Sarah :)"
07/19/2012
30.0% "I really wanna keep reading but my eyeballs are playing ping pong with each other :/"
show 1 hidden update…