Nona's Reviews > Tears of Gold

Tears of Gold by Laurie McBain

1521956
Jun 27, 12

bookshelves: california-gold-rush, bodice-rippers, on-my-book-shelves, keeper-shelf
Read from June 21 to 26, 2012

I bought my very first romance for twenty five cents at a flea market, Devils Desire by Laurie McBain and have loved them(romances) ever since. A few years ago I picked up Moonstruck Madness and was a little bereft at how it wasn't Devils Desire but still good. A few days ago I picked up my third McBain read, Tears of Gold, hoping for that reconnection with her books I had felt with the first and though I found it it was different this time could be I've aged a bit since I created this ultra-romance super author cape for McBain at the whopping age of thirteen.

the O'Flynns, childern of an actress and nobleman, have made it through the tough times and the good times relying on their wits and abilities to act, charm and gamble until one incident scars Mara that pretains a young gentleman. Nicholas the uncle of the young man is hell bent on vengeance against the little Irish woman who caused his sister and nephew such pain. Through this vengeance comes mixed feelings from both parties, Mara wants to forget the past and build a new future with her family in America where gold is plenty and Nicholas is wanting to distroy her at any chance, as they come together time and again the insults fly waging a war of mistrust, hurt feelings and damaged pride to uncover something greater.

I love the detail McBain brings out in her stories, the conditions of cramped space damp with salt water on the ship or the alluring Spanish Moss, it has a way of seducing the reader in itself. The characters I thought were strong in who and what they were. Nicholas was an arrogant rake who knew his power of seduction and was willing to do everything it took to get what he wanted regardless of if it was proper or not. Mara was a disillusioned young woman and turned out she was far more then the wrapping you might say, she turned into a woman of great fortitude, keeping strong when life beat her down and she had no clue how to fix all that had gone wrong. It's got murder, travel, great steam scenes, gold aplenty and a Swede! (I was really hoping he played more a part but maybe in another book?)

I will be keeping this one for a reread at a later date and see if the feelings are still the same but would suggest this to anyone who likes a tortured alpha hero and a equally strong willed heroine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tears of Gold.

06/21/2012 page 81
06/21/2012 page 81
14.0% "I like Mara so fare though she seems to question herself alot. I'm curious about Nicholas, on pagfe 81 and have not seen hin since Prelude... where did he go? I think I'm going to like him as I tend to like his type, you know the angry I got a score to settle arrogant type." 1 comment
06/21/2012 page 133
23.0% "yeah! Nicholas has made an entrance... now lets see where this goes."
06/22/2012 page 222
39.0% "my my how things have picked up. I think I'm enjoying Nicholas however Mara is a little weak for me, c'mon she gives it up and tells him she loves him that soon? Interested to see where this goes."
06/22/2012 page 237
41.0% "dab-nag-it! I stole a few pages on break and now back to work I go but Nicholas just found out Mara is Mara and boy he does not seem happy for being played a fool.... yep I like him alot already, cold tortured soul out to get the world!"
06/22/2012 page 240
42.0% "they got away only for Brendan to leave them, why I outta... what a brother *snort*"
06/23/2012 page 270
47.0% "Mara n Nicholas just met up again, I think the Swede is a nice addition to acompany Nicholas, offest his arrogant self."
06/25/2012 page 415
72.0% "hmmm, Brendan died leaving them stranded and almost penniless in San Fran and now their in New Orleans with Nicholas. McBains losing me here the story was rolling along pretty good but now it's cooled down. I still like Nicholas though so imagine he'll keep things entertaining since Maras dropping the ball now that she's not the lil Irish spitfire she was"
06/26/2012 page 507
88.0% "awww everything is coming together but I got questions.. Armyllis? hows she tied into his brother & fathers death just a gut feeling shes in on it the lil tramp! and oh my how to you have sex for several months and be surprised your prego?"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Misfit This is my favorite McBain so far.

Nona I've hestitated several times when I picked it up to read before and not I'm not sure why, lol. I was surprised a few times and that was refreshing to say the least and the sub characters were great, the Swede, Jenny, Don Luis, Andres they were all great additions to Mara and Nicholas.

Sad thing is now I've no clue what to read, hard to follow up this one. lol

Misfit Isn't that hard deciding on what to read next after one of the best reads ever? Good luck in making the right choice.

Nona Ugh, picked up Captive Bride by Johanna Lindsey read three or four pages then wall banged it.... might need a day or two to find the right follow up.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Great Review Nona,and I loved your updates as well.
This is one of my all time favorites as well:)

Misfit Nona wrote: "Ugh, picked up Captive Bride by Johanna Lindsey read three or four pages then wall banged it.... might need a day or two to find the right follow up."

Books always fly after a Chadwick.

Nona ohhh I found this old book while packing I bought a few years ago, I was going through a Viking phase I think, Tara's Song by Barbara Ferry Johnson. Shes a young well ok 21 year old novice at a convent when the Vikings land and raid the surrounding area including the abbey she's at, of course shes taken prisoner and given to the chieftains son Roirk as a gift only when she starts to adjust she is kidnapped by her on fellow Englishmen and the crap she goes through to get back to Roirk!

hmm I'm think I found a good follow up.