Ceej's Reviews > Storm Born

3861945
Apr 06, 12

bookshelves: 2012, challenges-12
Read from April 04 to 05, 2012

So this book was recommended to me and, as of late, I've become a big paranormal fan. So much to the point the normal chik-lit mostly irritates me now. With this book, I kind of felt like I was reading a watered down Meredith Gentry book. Funny how Gentry is used in this book as a name for aristocratic fey.

I couldn't connect with Eugenie. Her dialogue is arrogant to the point of being cocky but her action scenes are abstract. For someone who's the baddest thing to hit both worlds, getting a clear picture is not so clear. She a whole lot promiscuous even though she says she's had only one relationship and sees herself as an outsider. I can understand denial but she keeps denying who she is simply because her pride won't let her admit she's one of the Shining Ones. Too many contradictions in one itty bitty heroine who isn't presented in truth as much as the talk of her character presents.

The heros are a different story. I truly love Dorian. I give him brownie points for not telling Eugenie things like who her father is and that Kiyo is a horndog. He wants her and there's no mistaking that. So why set himself up to let her accuse him of causing trouble. He's smart and the self deprecating humor is a plus. In the beginning it's said he's an asshole but truly, he makes fools of the people who are already making a fool of themselves. As for Kiyo, I am seriously suspicous of him. His association with the Wind Queen and hiding the fact she's expecting his child scream of trickery. Also he's a fox and foxes are known for being cunning. Yet Eugenie trusts him more and seems to be more attracted to him. I don't get it but okay.

The overall story is fairly decent. I like the two different worlds. What I didn't like is the focus being placed on getting Eugenie pregnant. Okay maybe not so much that the focus was on that one aspect but the way it's presented. It made a little more sense when it's revealed she's the Storm King's daughter but then it abruptly switches to assasinations. I think I could like this series simply to hang out with Dorian but then I'd have to wade through all the other crap. Like I said, she's a watered down Merry Gentry without the vivid action scenes and less sense of self.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Born.