Shana Martin's Reviews > Inside the Human Body

Inside the Human Body by Joanna Cole

F 50x66
Apr 06, 2012

bookshelves: eced221

The informative novel The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body by Joanna Cole is a story about Miss Frizzle’s class learning about the human body. However, the class takes extreme measures of research by entering Arnold’s body. The class is able to view his bloodstream, intestines, stomach, and so forth.
The informative novel was able to expand the reader’s awareness by letting them take a walk into a world of Miss Frizzle’s class. By getting the perspective of the class, the reader is able to learn about the human body that has somewhat use of empathy. For example, the reader is able to give empathy to reluctant Arnold who is scared to let the class enter his body on a school bus. The novel provides an enjoyable read that doesn’t teach a clear moral. I believe that the book has no moral but is more to inform readers of the human body. Furthermore, the novel tells the truth of what the human body consists of by using accurate insight and uses true to life characters such as Arnold. The novel meets the criteria of embodying qualities because the description of the human body is telling by use of precise and descripted words. The plot is not convincing due to the magic school bus entering into another human’s body. However, the characters are believable except for the alive bus. Furthermore, the novel has integrity because it brings the literature works into making a satisfying whole. Finally, the informative novel meets the criteria of being original because it uses unique characters that are put into interesting situations that creates a fascinating viewpoint for readers. Also, it was able to give readers a new way of thinking about what the human body consists of as well as looks like.
I enjoyed the informative novel because it used a telling description that included pictures to create a visual in my mind. When Miss Frizzle entered the body of Arnold instead of a normal field trip to show her students the human body, it struck me with interests. I don’t believe the novel is relatable to my life because I never entered the human body on a bus. Furthermore, I would use the novel in my classroom to show students what the human body consists of as well as looks like. The story will be able to not only entertain my students but inform them on the subject of the human body.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside the Human Body.