Claire's Reviews > Spirit

Spirit by Brigid Kemmerer

May 14, 13

Read on May 10, 2013

What it's about: Book three in the Elementals series, this time the story centres around Hunter. We pick up not long after we left off in Spark - the Merrick boys don't trust him, his family aren't happy with him and Calla is causing more trouble. Then Hunter meets Kate, and he realises how amazing she is, but she has a secret too. Can Hunter learn who to trust before everything crumbles around him?

What I thought: As many of my readers may know, I am in love with Brigid Kemmerer's writing. After debuting on the YA scene last year, she quickly became one of my favourite authors, so I came in with high expectations. And as per usual, she did not disappoint. She even exceeding my expectations by the big sad twist in the end - remember to have some tissues on hand!

All our favourite characters are back, and we are also introduced to Kate and Silver. Hunter is a cranky boy for most of the book, and we see a few new sides to him that were hidden from us before. He fights with his grandfather, he crashes with the Merrick boys (despite everything), he meets and falls for a gorgeous new girl, he gets himself into a whole lot more trouble - and you won't be able to put this book down!

Because this book is more about Hunter and his own journey of self-discovery, the Merrick boys don't play a prominent part, but don't be discouraged! We needed Spirit to be from Hunter's point of view as he is the best person to have told the story. Plus we still get to see Michael playing big brother, Gabriel getting into a fight (a couple times) and Nick and Chris are around too.

If you loved Storm and Spark, then you will love Spirit just as much! If you haven't gotten around to reading them yet, I suggest you hop to it because you are seriously missing out! Now bring on book 4!!

The Good: Brigid Kemmerer is truly amazing. She has this ability to pull you into her stories, make you get emotionally involved and even crush your poor little hearts - her writing is one in it's own right.

The Bad: I don't think I could ever find a negative word to say!

Rating: 5 bookstacks
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spirit.

05/10/2013 marked as: currently-reading
05/10/2013 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah That was quick missy! :P

Claire What was quick?!

message 3: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah You reading Spirit! You only got it today! Or did you get it on NG as well?

Claire I didn't get a copy from Allen& Unwin, because I have the American covers, plus I already pre-ordered it. Yeah, I got it on Netgalley a few weeks ago :)

message 5: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Oh I remember now! Sorry, Dory moment :) I'm so glad you liked it!!! Can't wait to start reading!

Claire Hahaha it's okay :D