Melissa's Reviews > Switched

Apr 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-releases, books-from-library
Read from May 24 to 26, 2012

I must admit, I started reading the series because I was taken in by the hype of self-published author, Amanda Hocking, making millions off her ebooks and signing on to a traditional publisher. I do believe that if one wants to read the series, they really have to switch off their brains like when reading Glimmerglass or Shadowspell.

Basically, Switched is like any other YA fantasy novel out there, but this time, our protagonist is a Troll who has been called back to her true home for her destiny to be fulfilled. The story definitely has a great premise and the imagination behind it is brilliant but the writing is simplistic and the style can be improved on. One thing that still stuck with me was the fact that everyone expected Wendy to know everything that is to know about being Trylle but she's spent her entire life in the human world, that's just not possible.

I'll probably finish the series because I do believe that the series has the potential to be great and because I have both books on my desk already. I'm actually hoping that Amanda Hocking's first traditionally published book, Wake, will fare better. But until then, 2.5 stars for Switched, but I'm bumping it up to 3 because I like the new covers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Switched.