Ann's Reviews > Sterling

Sterling by Dannika Dark

Apr 06, 2012

bookshelves: my-list-of-read-books
Read from April 06 to 10, 2012

Alright -takes deep breath- seeing as I am not so tired now I can finally put up an actual review for this book. Well, to sum it up I loved this book, very much so. I connected with the story, writing style, and characters so well and this does not happen often. I believe that just like romantic partners there are a few books/writers/styles out there that really fit us as readers and when you find one its like a breath of fresh air compared to all the other just good, okay, or even great books you have read before. (SPOILERS IN HERE)

I will say that in the beginning I was skeptical about yet another book where the main female lead has two/three guys protecting her/loving her. I get tired of indecisive female characters who drag guys along. In this case I was pleasantly surprised that I came to care for each one of the guys because they each had very unique personalities and commitments towards Zoe/Silver. They all loved her in their own way and Zoe, although sometimes vulnerable, never became any kind of weakling who encouraged in-fighting between the guys. They all got along like good friends and Zoe/Silver had the decency to only really get physically involved when she felt truly drawn to the guy. I have a feeling she is going to end up with Justus at the close of the series but that is just my guess seeing as she has already been a little intimate with Simon and Adam and in both cases she decided later she didn't feel as "at home" around them as Justus.

I have to admit I was rooting for Adam in the beginning and near the end when he gets injured (almost dying even) I became rather anger. I am not sure how I feel about him being turned into a Mage seeing as I liked how the little group Zoe/Silver had included a human which gave it dynamic I think. However, Novis seems like a cool member of the Council and if Adam is now his progeny then we get to know more about Novis too.

I also like that Zoe/Silver has moments where she shines and does things on her own without the men assisting. She is a fighter and thus I didn't mind when she had to rely on one of the guys after getting all beat up because she'd just shown us she could fight but then needed help after just like any normal person.

I have to admit that the banter between the guys and Zoe/Silver was very amusing at times and I loved Simon's comments especially. I would recommend this book to everyone. It is simply fascinating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sterling.