Charles's Reviews > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Sep 09, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: never-touch-again
Read from April 07 to 21, 2012

The only time I can remember where the movie is honestly and actually better than the book.

The Oskar character is incredibly well written and the portions of the story told from his perspective or focused on him were the best parts of the book. His character was engrossing and I found myself feeling empathy for him - a fictional character. Foer does a great job with Oskar.

The first half of the book is written in a style I found illogical and cumbersome to follow. I came very close to putting it down and not picking it up again. In the last half of the book, Oskar's story had become so compelling I was thankful I had stuck it out through the first half of the book and made it to the second half. There was less of the cumbersome jumps in perspective and I was more familiar with the characters so it was easier to follow when they did occur. Really got sucked into Oskar's story!

The ending sucked! Wish I had never read the book. No closure, unresolved relationships and unanswered questions! I hate stories like this one, they're crap.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

04/07/2012
20.0% "Not one of my favorites so far. Story has potential. Author's style seems disjointed and jumbled. I must give credit for author's ability to capture the perspective of a 10 year old who lost their Dad. That character is excellently written so far."
04/12/2012
60.0% "The author convincingly captures Oskar's emotional pain and struggle. Great writing in that regard! I hate the way the writer jumps between characters and characters in time and setting - overly complicated, diminishes the joy of the read."