Cassie's Reviews > The White Mountains

The White Mountains by John Christopher

Apr 12, 12

Read in April, 2012

I read this as part of a 'book swap' deal I made with my boyfriend. In exchange for him reading the Hunger Games I had to read this. If it hadn't been for this deal I don't think I would have given this book a chance. I really like the world that Christopher created and loved the way that his characters marveled at the objects (and cities) the mystical 'ancient' peoples left behind.

Overall this was a really great read, the only issue I really have is the ending. It's so sudden and there wasn't really any hint that the last chapter does not follow directly-ish on from the chapter before and for a while I was really confused and had to re-read a few times before it sunk in.

I even checked the page numbers to make sure I hadn't skipped any. While my boyfriend does not agree with me about the ending, personally it just irked me and found it like an edge of a cliff. Leading up to it you think there may be a nice slope down to the ending but instead it's like a short sharp drop that left me very confused.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Mountains.