Michael Clifton's Reviews > A Crown Imperiled

A Crown Imperiled by Raymond E. Feist

Apr 25, 12

Read from April 06 to 18, 2012

With any fantasy series, sooner or later the "freshness" begins to suffer. However, with his Midkemia fantasy novels, Raymond Feist has managed to keep my interest with book after book. Feist has a knack of introducing new characters, reinventing old characters, and keeping you guessing concerning his plots...not such an easy task when considering this all occurs within the parameters of a fantasy series now approaching, what? Twenty years old?

I will admit that the past couple of Feist novels had begun to "drag" a bit for me, but with "A Crown Imperiled", Feist is back at the top of his game! This was a GREAT book!

Without giving away too much of the content, A Crown Imperiled continues the story of Kesh invading the Kingdoms of Midkemia. The characters from book #1 of the Chaoswar Saga also continue in the war or struggle against Kesh. No one seems to know why they are fighting a war that seemingly makes little sense, but as with all of Feist's novels, there are always deeper, more sinister plots that eventually come to light. I always enjoy these "A-HA" moments when it all becomes clear...its part of the anticipation of reading Feist's books.

The way the conflict with Kesh was resolved was somewhat anti-climatic for me, and really, I would have given "A Crown Imperiled" 5 stars otherwise. The demise of the bad guys...well lets just say it left a lot to be desired as far as I was concerned. Feist does "recover", however, with the book's ending...and what an ending! It leaves you cursing the fact that it will be another six months or so before the next novel is released.

Four stars for the AWESOME Feist novel, A Crown Imperiled!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Crown Imperiled.