Algernon's Reviews > Timeless

Timeless by Gail Carriger

Apr 12, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from April 06 to 12, 2012

[5/10] this series has overstayed its welcome for me. it was all right in the beginning, mostly harmless fun with vampires, werewolves ans steampunk gadgets. Timeless feels sadly like fanfic compared with Soulless, the humorous bits forced and the plot very thin, with a bit of conflict in the last 50 pages, and an ocean of trivial pursuits until then.

I'm not very good at writing a synopsis, but Miss Tarrabotti is this time pursuing a mysterious plague that affects supernatural creatures, following in the steps of Amelia Peabody and investigating mummies in Egipt. Her lively daughter Prudence is supposed to be responsible for the humorous bits of the novel, but its a hit and miss opportunity most of the time. There's also a side plot involving secondary characters left in London to investigate a murder, a case where the culprit was very poorly hidden and the focus was rather on the romantic entaglements of the detective duo.

I would like to see the author explore a different setting and different characters, like N K Jemisin did after her successful Thousand Kingdoms after only three books. In that case I will pick up the next Gail Carriger book. Otherwise I will continue with the originals she is trying to emulate : Elizabeth Peters and P G Wodehouse.

edit: spelling woes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timeless.