Asli's Reviews > State of Wonder

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: orange-reading
Read from April 05 to 15, 2012

First off, the prose was simply fascinating. It was elegant and beautiful and just... so well written. Ann Patchett being Ann Patchett, you can always count on her to mesmerise you with her writing.

The plot was something else. It was very interesting but I have this thing where I read everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) as a metaphor. So I just kept asking myself the possible meaning of women being able to have children at any age they want. You’re seventy-three and you’re pregnant. What does that mean? The way I see it, she is trying to talk about freedom, freedom from old age and freedom from the ever annoying tick-tacks of our lovely biological clocks. And how it all backfires. You don’t mess with mother nature! But I’m sure there are tons of meanings I’m missing here.

The characters were... well, women. They were all women. Which I liked. After all this is a story about women. Of course there were men as well, like Anders, Mr. Fox and Marina’s dead father but they were there to serve a purpose, to help highlight the women characters in my opinion. But here is the problem, I kept reading the novel expecting to love Marina and be charmed by Dr. Swenson, her intellect and dedication to her work. And I did... to some extent. I don’t know, I somehow expected to like them more and I just didn’t.

The thing is, the issue here is big. It’s not your everyday stories- it’s the heavy stuff. It’s about curing malaria and making a drug that can change the way we view “family”. And for that, I think I wished the author would take us a bit deeper? Also The Lakashi tribe. I thought we could be told more about them.

But all and all, this was a wonderful, intriguing read and I really enjoyed it. As you know State of Wonder is longlisted for Orange Prize and I have a feeling that it’s going to make its way into the shortlist.

So here goes: 4/5 stars for State of Wonder

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read State of Wonder.

Quotes Asli Liked

Ann Patchett
“Never be so focused on what you're looking for that you overlook the thing you actually find.”
Ann Patchett, State of Wonder

04/09/2012 page 70
20.0% "It's beautifully written... I'm sure its going to make the Orange Prize short-list. My favourite passage so far: "Hope is a horrible thing, you know. I don't know who decided to package hope as a virtue because it's not. It's a plague. Hope is like walking around with a fishhook in your mouth and somebody just keeps pulling it and pulling it.""
04/15/2012 page 250
71.0% "hoping to finish this today!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam Can I borrow this?

Asli sure but if I send anything heavy... you know what happens. Shall I bring it over in September? :)