Matt Gough's Reviews > Never Cry Wolf

Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat

8620410
Apr 05, 12

I read this book in one day, mainly because it was a really short book, but also because it was really interesting. Farley Mowat wrote it about his personal travels in the Canadian wilderness in the 1940s. At that time, wolves were being blamed for the destruction of all the caribou, when in actuality hunters were the main reason that the caribou were disappearing. Mowat was sent by the Canadian government to find proof that wolves were slaughtering the caribou, but instead, he found that the wolves and caribou are co-dependent on each other for survival. Mowat has a great style, which is sort of like tongue-in-cheek, making fun of himself and others around him. At times, he does strange things which I thought was curious. For instance, at one point, after knowing that the wolves are friendly and have welcomed him, he was exploring the den when he was startled by the wolves. Losing his balance, he slid down the hill. The wolves saw this, so Mowat was embarrassed. So, his reaction was to raise the rifle and prepare to shoot the wolves. WHAT!??!! But, on the whole, I enjoyed the book and Mowat’s style.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Cry Wolf.