Matt Gough's Reviews > The Egyptologist

The Egyptologist by Arthur Phillips

8620410
Apr 05, 2012

This book had a lot of things going for it. For one, it was funny. I don't often laugh out loud when I read books, but I cracked up several times during the course of this one. The author has a tremendous knack for phrasing, and it's used to full advantage during the funnier parts of this novel. But, there's a whole lot more going on here. The story presents itself as a puzzle. We are given journals and letters from the characters, and the true mystery of the novel is trying to find out where the truth lies in these personal accounts. The way that the characters rationalize their actions and the actions of others to consistently place themselves in the best light is fantastically done, especially when the narratives interlap, and we finally receive multiple accounts of the same occurrence. As a character points out within the novel itself, we cannot trust just one source of information, and this holds true with the novel as a whole. Can we really trust anyone? Discovering the answer to that question is what makes this book great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Egyptologist.