Barbarac's Reviews > Little Bee

Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: tear-jerker, women-protagonists, africa

I see the reviews for this book are all over the place. There's the intense "likes", the "eh's" and the "hated it". I haven't seen this much polarization about a book in a while. I think the author should be complimented for stirring up such powerful emotions on everybody. For my review I'll say that first, do not read this at the gym while on a stationary bike...everybody will see you cry. And never move far away from the tissues. It's brutal. Whether believable or not...but this is a work of fiction after all, so I don't care. Little Bee is so simple and so complex at the same time. And she's lovable. I think her simplicity is the "funny" part that some people alluded to. "Funny" in a very poignant way. This is one of those books I would have liked to read with a highlighter, to mark passages that I don't want to forget. But I had a library loaner. Still I will never forget "Trouble is like the ocean. It covers two thirds of the world."
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Bee.

Quotes Barbarac Liked

Chris Cleave
“I’m telling you, trouble is like the ocean. It covers two thirds of the world.”
Chris Cleave, Little Bee

Chris Cleave
“You travel here and you travel there, trying to get out from under the cloud, and nothing works, and then one day you realize you've been carrying the weather around with you.”
Chris Cleave, Little Bee