Abby's Reviews > Dancing on My Grave

Dancing on My Grave by Gelsey Kirkland

Aug 20, 08

bookshelves: to-read

Ooooh!!! The true life story of a professional ballet dancer, filled with sex, drugs and eating disorders. Awesome!

I just mentioned in another book I added (about the dark side of gymnastics) that I really wanted to be a ballerina as a kid. I even checked out all the books at the library about ballet, and memorized the different feet positions, and names of famous ballet dancers around the world INCLUDING the name Mikhail Baryshnikov, who apparently this author has a "difficult relationship" with. I used to tell my friends I thought Mikhail was hot. I thought it made me sound smart and cultured. I don't think I could pick the guy out of a line up today if I tried, but back then I made up that I had a crush on him and wrote "I love Mikhail" on all my notebooks. (Kind of like my fake boyfriend in 4th grade, Andrew Jackson, which you can read about in my review of "The President's Lady: A Novel about Rachel and Andrew Jackson".)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dancing on My Grave.

Emily Like Abby, I also really wanted to be a ballerina. I never took ballet lessons because it was WAYYYY too embarrassing to have my mom sit in the lobby and wait. I used to go with her to Abby’s classes. My mom waited not because it was easier or she had no where to go, but because many children have gotten kidnapped during ballet, apparently. She loved Abby enough to protect her from a masked man swooping in to her class and, unnoticed, stealing her away.

I also never got the nerve to do ballet because I could never remember if my tights went under or over my leotard.

message 2: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby I think they went under.

Since when did you want to be a ballerina?

message 3: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby Emily -

Didn't you tell me once that you pretended to have a crush on a football player because it seemed like the cool thing to do? I had never connected it, but that's just like me pretending to like Mikhail Baryshnikov, except my fake crush was classier.

There was no way I could admit to liking a real boy in our class, because then I was afraid someone else might think he wasn't cool enough, and that would ruin my reputation of coolness (which in reality did not exist).

Emily Yes, Troy Aikman. I totally pretended that I loved him. To be honest, I was only vaguely sure that he played football. And to this day I have no clue what team he played for. Maybe it was the Harlem Globetrotters. I have no idea.

Here's why I pretended: I was a bit of a non-slim nerdly kid. I figured that if people thought I liked a football player that they would think I was sporty and cool. Did it work?!?!?

That was the same reason that I would pretend to do cheerleading moves (like spirit fingers and arm waving stuff) when we went to the mall. I figured that if people saw me practicing my cheerleading moves, they would think I was cool. Did that work too???? Don't cheerleaders go to the mall with their moms and dads?

message 5: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby You've never told me about cheerleading moves at the mall.

Emily Maybe that's why you never thought I was cool.

Emily Abby...so far (page 93) there is no sex, no drugs, and the only eating disorder talk is when she decided to just eat candy bars. I generally try to stick to a diet rich in candy bars, so I don't know why that is a big deal.