Sarah Clark's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Jul 15, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, girly-books, magical-realism, romance, young-adult
Read from June 02 to July 15, 2012

This book. Is. Dramatic.
I definitely see how this has strong appeal for those who like ethereal fantasy. heavy use of the word "evanescence", angels and demons, etc., etc.
I got hooked here and there--enough to care to finish the book--but I think half of me finishing was knowing how much others like this.
What started as a ass-kicking, no-nonsense, cool protagonist trying to solve a mystery about her past turned into an ill-fated love story, I was disappointed. It was a shame that the story had to turn to that. At least in the Hunger Games you knew that the romance was being contrived in order to entertain the public watching the games, so it was a survival tactic. This just bored me.
If only this protagonist had the kick-assedness of Buffy, the romance would have been okay. A Buffy-Spike or Buffy-Angel thing. (Oh God, I'm dating myself).

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Natalie The cool thing about Buffy is that the romances were great and all, but they weren't the story-ever. And my girl Buffy never let her love life keep her from killing things that needed to die. She had other priorities! And responsibilities! And reasons for existing! And puns. And I'll stop now...

Sarah Clark You are absolutely right! I just read this to Tai and she says she misses you and asked when you will visit. :)

Natalie I miss her too! And I'm dying for a visit. Maybe I'll come down when Fringe starts again ;) How far away is that?

Sarah Clark Wonderful! Tai says the fall. We'd love to have you.

Natalie Thanks! I actually have a thing in LA in October. I was going to just come for a day, but I could turn it into an actual visit.

Sarah Clark Wahoo!