Jessica-Robyn's Reviews > The Awakening and The Struggle

The Awakening and The Struggle by L.J. Smith

Jul 11, 14

bookshelves: paranormal-supernatural, fiction-young-adult, series-book-1, series-dropped
Read in April, 2012

I started reading this a couple of months ago and did not finish, not even close. I'm not completely sure how far I got but it could not have been more then 70 pages. Honestly, up till this point I had forgotten that I haven't written anything about the experience.

Now, The Vampire Diaries is by far a pinnacle of the paranormal vampire YA group, so I can't say I won't return to this. But from what I read, I just couldn't read any further. It surprised me to, because I like the genre, I like the premis, and from what little I've seen of the TV show, I expected to enjoy this.

My problem was mostly with Elena. I just couldn't see myself reading an entire story surrounding her narrative. She was overall rather vapid and I did not connect with her in anyway. When a character comes right out of the gate being so unrelatable it made it harder for me to find the motivation to keep reading. I remember thinking, I have nothing in common with this girl, I don't care what happens to her in the future, and I really would like her to stop talking.

Now, I will say again that I might take a second go at this sometime in the future, if only because I know that so many people have enjoyed the series. So for now I'll keep this as a maybe eventually.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening and The Struggle.

11/02/2011 page 47
10.0% "Oh, Elena. Do highschool students like you actually exsist? It's harder to suspend my disbelif in you then your vampire friends."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay I'm reading this now, and I don't know if I can finish. I love the show, but this is not making me want to finish it. I feel like if I can read Twilight why can't read this. I just love the show so much, and it's so much better than the books.

Jessica-Robyn Kay wrote: "I'm reading this now, and I don't know if I can finish. I love the show, but this is not making me want to finish it. I feel like if I can read Twilight why can't read this. I just love the show so..."

I haven't watched the show, but my thoughts are, if you think that reading this will effect your enjoyment of something you really like, don't bother trying to force it. I know as readers we want to love the source material, but when you already have a connection with the characters/story through some other medium it's hard to replicate that.

Personally, I couldn't read any further then I did, and I'm much more interested in checking out the show then in coming back to this.

message 3: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay Jessica-Robyn wrote: "Kay wrote: "I'm reading this now, and I don't know if I can finish. I love the show, but this is not making me want to finish it. I feel like if I can read Twilight why can't read this. I just love..."

You're right. I had to put it to the side.

I just can't read those versions of my favorite characters. I'd recommend the show. It starts off slow and kind of lame, but then it really picks up later on in the first season. The second season is really good also. I haven't been really watching the third season though, so I can't give a critique of that.

Jessica-Robyn Kay wrote: "Jessica-Robyn wrote: "Kay wrote: "I'm reading this now, and I don't know if I can finish. I love the show, but this is not making me want to finish it. I feel like if I can read Twilight why can't ..."

From what I've seen of the show it seems really well produced, which is how I judge television in general. I'll try to check it out in the next month or so!

I like to give new shows six episode to catch my attention but I might give this longer if you say the first season picks up late. But I'll definitely be looking forward to finally sitting down and watching this. :)