Kailia's Reviews > The Traitor in the Tunnel

The Traitor in the Tunnel by Y.S. Lee

Apr 12, 2012

liked it
Read in April, 2012

I absolutely love historical fiction. I'm a huge fan of all things Victorian, Elizabethan, Regency etc. England. After reading the first book in this series, I fell in love. Not only with that fact that it was a mystery but the fact that it's set in 1850s England and features a strong, independent, woman, which wasn't common during that time. While The Traitor in the Tunnel was a great book, it wasn't my favorite out of the series so far.

The plot itself was relatively good but I did have issues with it. There was a lot going on all at the same time and that really took away from me enjoying the book as much as I could have. I think what got me was that because there was so much going on, we weren't able to get a lot of information and background. Sure you can't really do that anyways but you want to have at least a good grasp of the issue; I just wanted more, ya know? The London setting and the important historical figures were well done and I loved seeing London through Mary's eyes.

I was more than happy of course, to see James again but he seemed a little off in this book. I'm not sure what it was but it seemed much more spontaneous and his actions didn't really match the James from the earlier books. While he and Mary were as cute as ever, their relationship didn’t seem to go anywhere, sadly.

Y.S. Lee’s research shined through this novel once again and I was so happy to be back in Victorian Era England. Her writing was wonderful and was able to carry this book, without many issues. While I did feel that so things weren’t as great as they could have been (see above paragraphs), The Traitor in the Tunnel was a good addition to The Agency series though not my favorite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Traitor in the Tunnel.