Alice's Reviews > Theater Shoes

Theater Shoes by Noel Streatfeild

Apr 05, 2012

bookshelves: kidlit
Read in April, 2012

This is my favorite of the Shoes books, probably because I read it over and over when I was a kid. While reading this copy, however, I was somewhat dismayed to realize that the copy I had was either edited down to make it shorter, or to make it more comprehensible to 1980s American children. Meaning I read an abridged version--the horror! It was both nice to read all the missing parts and very odd, because the book seemed clunkier and like it dragged more with all the extraneous detail added.

Anyway, I'm giving it five stars anyway because it is a fantastic description of Blitz-era London from a child's point of view (that, and nostalgia. And it's charming). My mother grew up in the UK post WW2 and this book really made me realize what an affect rationing, coupons, blackouts, and the like had on the population. I love love love all the theatrical details and the competitive nature of the relationship between Miranda and Sorrel, and I like all the secondary and tertiary characters a great deal. Upon re-reading, though, I think the grandmother should have been ashamed of how her grandchildren were treated, and I wish the aunts and uncles had taken slightly more interest in their welfare.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Theater Shoes.

09/03/2016 marked as: read

Jasmine Ahhh, I love that you're reviewing all of the Shoes books, I adore these! You're obviously totally right, but man do I love the Jewish uncle. And the letters from the Fossil sisters.

Alice I love Mose Cohen too, and I love that absolutely nothing is made of his Jewishness. Since I was growing up in Westchester when reading this book, I didn't take any notice of this at all since I was surrounded by my Jewish friends, but it seems a bit remarkable now.

Jasmine I know, as I was typing that I was thinking "Wait, am I right? He really was Jewish, right? That seems kind of crazy and that that was just there and not a big deal."