Kimberly's Reviews > Brave New World

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Aug 01, 12

bookshelves: pleasure-reading, classics
Read from April 06 to August 01, 2012

Confusing book. All I have to say now is what happened to John, Mr. Savage?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.

04/13/2012 page 30
11.0% "What is with all of these confusing words? peritonium, morula, wagishly, foetal..."
04/13/2012 page 37
14.0% "Is this disgusting cat related to Cat in Red Dwarf? Think about it, while Aldous Huxley wrote Brave New World in 1932, it was probably already classic by the time Red Dwarf was made, also in England."
04/13/2012 page 45
17.0% ""Has any of you been compelled to live through a long time-interval between the consciousness of a desire and its fulfillment?""
04/16/2012 page 81
30.0% ""Come, Greater Being, Social Friend, Annihilating Twelve-in-One! We long to die, for when we end, Our larger life has but begun.""
04/25/2012 page 123
46.0% "Poor Linda, but she must be used to it by now. And civilization is by interpretation."
07/27/2012 page 158
59.0% ""Ariel could put a gurdle round the earth in forty minutes." What does this have to do with anything? Who is Ariel?"
07/27/2012 page 165
62.0% ""the moment's supremely fashionable glory." best quote ever!"
08/01/2012 page 219
82.0% "Jaw dropped when I read, "Beauty's attractive, and we don't want people t be attracted by old things. We want them to like the new ones.""
08/01/2012 page 227
85.0% ""Happiness is a hard master - particularly other people's happiness. A much harder master, if one isn't conditioned to accept it unquestioningly, than truth.""
08/01/2012 page 234
87.0% "I disagree. It makes a mountain of sense that people would only search for G-d when they fear their own mortality; however, no matter what utopia you create, "Youthful desires [do] fail.""
08/01/2012 page 238
89.0% "Love Shakespearean quotes in this novel. "Getting rid of everything unpleasant instead of learning to put up with it. Whether 'tis better in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them... But you don't do either. Neither suffer nor oppose. You just abolish the slings and arrows. It's too easy." It is."
show 9 hidden updates…