Jennifer Mitchell's Reviews > Scat

Scat by Carl Hiaasen

Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, mystery-crime

Mrs. Starch is not the most beloved teacher at the Truman School. After an incident with a student, who goes by the name Smoke, she might be the least well liked. But when she goes missing during a class trip into the Black Vine Swamp during a mysterious brush fire, classmates Nick and Marta decide to find out what happened to her regardless of how they feel -- and the danger.

The story was put together really well with great characters -- like a substitute teacher who teaches the same page every Monday, no matter what subject he is teaching and Smoke, a tough kid with a hard life whose more than he seems. There was such a nice flow to the story, that I found it hard to put down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scat.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Furness I've been meaning to read this one. I really, really enjoyed Hoot back when I read it. I just started one of his adult novels, actually, Lucky You, which a friend recommended. I'm going through this weird reading-adult-books phase. I'm sure it won't last.

Jennifer Mitchell What do you think of Lucky You? I just out one of his adult books on hold, Tourist Season.

You know how an author will end a chapter on a cliff hanger, and then you have to read the next chapter because you have to know what happens. Scat wasn't like that. It was just a really well thought out story that you wanted to keep reading, because you wanted to keep reading -- not because of any literary devices. It was refreshing.

message 3: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Furness I'm not too far into Lucky You yet, but I like it so far.