Rebecca's Reviews > The Men Who Would Be King: An Almost Epic Tale of Moguls, Movies, and a Company Called DreamWorks

The Men Who Would Be King by Nicole LaPorte

Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: tv
Read in August, 2010

This book was about the Dreamworks studio. Kind of interesting. Katzenberg, Spielberg and Geffen try to balk at the Hollywood studio system and start their own. I remember when all this went down, even though I was only in high school at the time and didn't know too much about anything.

Couple of things I got out of the book:

The studio was ahead of their time on a couple of levels, especially the internet. They wanted to make some sort of go-to website for all things creative in video, but when they tried to launch something (ie. YouTube) peoples internet speeds were still really slow and we just weren't ready for it yet. So it failed.

Each guy got into the studio for a different reason. Katzenberg was trying to get back at Disney and it seemed for like the first 10 years at Dreamworks, he was in a legal battle with Disney for his money or something. Yeah, not the best reason to start a whole freakin' studio. Spielberg was the face and name for it all, even though it seemed like he didn't care because he kept doing projects for his old haunts, like Universal. Geffen had a bunch of other projects and was more the money man then anything else. The book didn't focus on him too much (if it did, I just glossed over it, because I didn't care too much).

If you are interested in the rise and fall of a new studio, read it. Otherwise, kind of boring. To business-y on some ends for me.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Men Who Would Be King.