Rachel's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fantasy, fiction, kindle, young-adult
Read in March, 2012

This book was not at all what I expected it to be, yet I enjoyed it immensely. I thought it would be a lot creepier and more gothic. It was actually more of a fantasy - and we all know that I usually struggle with fantasy books. This one was different though. I think it was because there was a clear set of rules that the fantastical elements operated in. Each peculiar child had a special talent, there was no random magic happening at convenient times for the sake of advancing the plot.

The ending of this book definitely paves the way for a sequel and while I would like to read more, I was quite satisfied with how this book wrapped up. If for some reason there isn't a sequel, I won't be lying awake at night over it.

Interspersed throughout the book are real vintage photographs. The author incorporates these photos into the story - most of them are of the peculiar children. It was as if someone handed the author a stack of eclectic photos and said, "I challenge you to weave these into a story." I thought it was a unique device. Because of these photos, I would recommend if you read the electronic version that you do so on a color reader. The photos looked like muddy blurs on my Kindle but looked great on my iPad.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.