Rachel's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fantasy, fiction, kindle, young-adult
Read in March, 2012

This book was not at all what I expected it to be, yet I enjoyed it immensely. I thought it would be a lot creepier and more gothic. It was actually more of a fantasy - and we all know that I usually struggle with fantasy books. This one was different though. I think it was because there was a clear set of rules that the fantastical elements operated in. Each peculiar child had a special talent, there was no random magic happening at convenient times for the sake of advancing the plot.

The ending of this book definitely paves the way for a sequel and while I would like to read more, I was quite satisfied with how this book wrapped up. If for some reason there isn't a sequel, I won't be lying awake at night over it.

Interspersed throughout the book are real vintage photographs. The author incorporates these photos into the story - most of them are of the peculiar children. It was as if someone handed the author a stack of eclectic photos and said, "I challenge you to weave these into a story." I thought it was a unique device. Because of these photos, I would recommend if you read the electronic version that you do so on a color reader. The photos looked like muddy blurs on my Kindle but looked great on my iPad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.