Linda's Reviews > The Night Strangers

The Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian

Apr 05, 12

Recommended for: anyone who likes ghost stories
Read from April 01 to 04, 2012

Okay, four and a half...
The only reason I'm not giving it five stars is because I feel the ending is a little soft.
That said, this was a good read. It definitely kept me guessing, definitely kept me up late, and definitely spooked me a couple of times. (Hint: don't read during rainstorm at night when everyone else is in bed, or if you do, get into bed first so you don't have to walk through house shutting off lights!)
I thought the characters were very well done. I loved sensible Emily, poor Chip and the twins. I thought the details about the plane crash were incredible. I'm not squeamish, so I didn't feel it went too far.
Loved all the details about the herbalists, and I thought that whole storyline was very interesting. I did not expect it to end the way it did, but would have liked to have seen more of it played out. It felt too abrupt - like he just got tired of writing. Okay, Epilogue.
Poor Chip crashes his plane and is haunted by that fact, as well as three of his dead passengers. The family moves from a nice suburb in PA to an old creaky house in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I would have liked to have seen more of the New England culture played out. I didn't get the impression that we were quite as remote as I think the setting really is.
The town turns out to be the nest of a group of herbalists. Thirty years before, a boy had died and there are hints throughout that they may have had something to do with it. Very soon you discover that indeed, they did. And they need to do it again.
This is an imaginative, dare I say atmospheric story that I will be putting on my Halloween Reading list!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Strangers.