Forrest's Reviews > Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War

Boyd by Robert Coram

M 50x66
May 07, 2012

Read from April 05 to May 07, 2012

This book is a great biography on John Boyd's life, contributions, and influence on others. Before reading this book, I had never heard of John Boyd. I am glad a friend loaned me this book to read. John Boyd (1927 – 1997) was blessed with a great mind (intellectually curious) and body which could endure the strenuous physical demands of being a fighter pilot. Boyd’s contributions to general warfare tactics are staggering: maneuver warfare, the OODA cycle (observe, orient, decide & act), the Energy-Maneuverability Theory, a major proponent to the design of the F-15 and F-16, and the primary author of the theory of conflict. Because of his harsh and uncompromising personality, he was ostracized from many military “inner circles”, struggled with field grade officer promotions in the Air Force and was not widely credited for the work he did for several decades in a myriad Department of Defense endeavors. The author, Robert Coram does a great job of describing the climate of the military in the 60’s, 70’s and eighties. John Boyd’s “probable” contributions to the Gulf War are phenomenal. John Boyd was a true warrior and I am thankful that Robert Coram wrote the book and Mike loaned it to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boyd.