Michelle (Much Loved Books)'s Reviews > Open Heart

Open Heart by Emlyn Chand

May 23, 12

Read from May 16 to 21, 2012

When I first read Farsighted I really enjoyed it and couldn't wait to see what happens in the next book. Where Farsighted is focused mainly on Alex, Open Heart put us into Simmi's thoughts. After the events that transpired in Farsighted Simmi has doubts about her own ability to use her powers and also her her self image and self worth. This then ends up affecting her relationship with Alex, and Simmi becomes distant and passive.

There are more new gifted people in Open Heart, drawn to the energy of Simmi. Shapri, Alex and thier families. This sudden boom in population means new homes need to be built and Joe Franklin is the one to do it. His daughter Ronnie is one of the new group of pupils attending the school. From the minute I met both of these characters I instantly disliked them. Ronnie thinks and acts like she owns the world and that everything revolve around her. The attitude she has towards school and her fellow pupils is intolerable and her father is not much better.

Another new character is Murray who I loved straight away. He is easy to like and only want's to please others. He is the perfect friend, and after taking Emlyn's test to find out who would be your Open Heart Boyfriend, Murray ended up being mine.

Emlyn has done a good job of portraying Simmi's feelings of uncertainty, guilt, jealousy, and self loathing. Simmi's lack of self confidence is a hard thing to deal with, and from personal experience I know it can be a hard thing to overcome, no matter how old you are and no matter what others tell you and although I could relate to some of these feelings and understand why Simmi did what she did to Alex, Shapri and Dax, I still dislike her to treating her friends this way, especially Alex, and I personally would not forgive her. Near the end she gains more control over her power and can do more things with it, and although she does use this ability for some good I really hate how she uses it to twist things to her advantage.

I really enjoyed Open Heart and I am looking forward to next instalment when we get to focus on Shapri.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Open Heart.