Stacey (prettybooks)'s Reviews > The Diviners

The Diviners by Libba Bray

Nov 18, 2015

bookshelves: young-adult-fiction, read-in-my-twenties
Read from October 17, 2014 to November 14, 2015 , read count: 1

I've owned The Diviners for over 3 years and I finally picked it up as part of this year's Halloween reads. Hurrah! I couldn't wait to get stuck into this 1920s murder mystery. Evie O'Neill's secret ability has led her from small-town Ohio to sparkling New York City, full of speakeasies and Ziegfield girls. She's living with Uncle 'Unc' Will at the Museum of Creepy Crawlies when she befriends a whole host of alluring characters: Sam, Jericho, Mabel and Theta, all with their own credible histories and drawn by beautiful writing. Together they attempt to solve the murders before it's too late.

The mystery of creepy Naughty John was certainly an experience. Libba Bray has an impressive ability to make it as eerie as possible – from our opening chapter, where we're introduced to something terrible being unleashed, to the chilling points of view of the victims before they're murdered. She presents New York as somewhere dark and dangerous, but also intriguing. Although I've never been a superfan of 1920s America, it was difficult to resist. It was compelling and magical and sinister, with scary things lurking in the shadows. I couldn't help but be drawn to it – by both the glamour and the grittiness.

The Diviners is wonderfully crafted, with incredible detail. We're told so much about the time, the characters, and the mystery. The reader accompanies Evie and friends on their investigation into the gruesome, brutal murders occurring across the city, with links to religion and the occult. If I had any reservations at all, it would be that I'd have preferred the story to be ~200 pages shorter to tighten it up and make it a little more fast-paced, which appeals to me as a slow reader. But this extra time did mean that we got to delve into the characters' complicated pasts. It enabled Libba Bray to bring 1920s New York City to life.

The Diviners is a stunning mystery that takes us back to the Roaring Twenties and the supernatural horrors found there. I'm looking forward to meeting new Diviners and a new mystery in Lair of Dreams .

I also reviewed this book over on Pretty Books.
49 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diviners.

10/12/2014 marked as: currently-reading
11/10/2014 page 48
8.0% "I need to get back to this because it's so good! *shakes fist at huge hardback unsuitable for taking on commutes*" 3 comments
11/28/2014 page 1
0.0% "This is on hold. I read 50 pages but it's so chunky that I can't carry it around, so I'm saving it for the Christmas holidays; I'll be able to delve in properly!"
12/19/2014 marked as: to-read
10/31/2015 marked as: currently-reading
10/31/2015 page 1
0.0% "I didn't get to read this last Halloween even though I was enjoying it because it's so chunky, but let's give it another go!"
11/02/2015 page 42
7.0% ""We are not only a melting pot of cultures, but also of spirits and superstitions.""
11/05/2015 page 248
41.0% ""If there was one truth Evie had learned in her short life, it was that forgiveness was easier to seek than permission.""
11/09/2015 marked as: read
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

so excited for this!!! i've been looking forward to a new libba bray series for a while

Stacey (prettybooks) Yeah, it sounds great!

Romana this book is superb. you'll love it.

Isabella already read it! its great! Perfect combination of historical, supernatural, mystery, and steampunk

Stacey (prettybooks) I hope so!