Lesley's Reviews > Banker to the Poor: Micro-Lending and the Battle Against World Poverty

Banker to the Poor by Muhammad Yunus

May 13, 12

Read from April 28 to May 13, 2012

Wonderful book, inspiring person and ideas. I really like his ideas on capitalism (good but can also include social good). Also like keeping government out of large entitlement programs, how all of the businesses he has created are self sustaining, and how he has a higher than 95%repayment rate for his loans to the poor. He's changed the socioeconomic status of so many in Bangladesh it will interesting to watch how his ideas progress in other countries.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Banker to the Poor.

Quotes Lesley Liked

Muhammad Yunus
“When we want to help the poor, we usually offer them charity. Most often we use charity to avoid recognizing the problem and finding the solution for it. Charity becomes a way to shrug off our responsibility. But charity is no solution to poverty. Charity only perpetuates poverty by taking the initiative away from the poor. Charity allows us to go ahead with our own lives without worrying about the lives of the poor. Charity appeases our consciences.”
Muhammad Yunus, Banker to the Poor: Micro-Lending and the Battle Against World Poverty

05/11/2012 page 175
61.0% "Great book, great ideas about overcoming poverty."