Christina (A Reader of Fictions)'s Reviews > The Killing Moon

The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: finishedreviewcopy, on-my-shelves
Read from April 28 to 30, 2012

The Killing Moon did not grab me right out of the gate. This wasn't a huge concern, though. I haven't read a ton of epic fantasy yet, but I've read enough to know that you have to give it time. Creating a new world, one so intricate and different from the one we live in takes time. You have to give the author a chance to set up the world and the characters.

A lot of readers have zero interest in epic fantasy. The books are long, and, as already mentioned, there is generally quite a bit of set up before you can really get to the good parts. This scares readers away, I think. Why is epic fantasy like The Killing Moon worth it? The world-building. The best world-building I have ever read has been in epic fantasy. The worlds are so completely different, and yet I will have this perfect mental image of the place. Jemisin did an amazing job with this for sure.

Epic fantasy also tends to have really fascinating, mind-blowing, unique concepts. In The Killing Moon, this is the idea of Dreamblood, and Gatherers/Reapers. I loved every bit of that. It's just so cool, and creepy. To try to explain why it was awesome would take many words and probably fail epically, so I'm going to spare you that.

Book two is definitely going to be in my future. I have no freaking clue what's going to happen next, but I must know! I especially want to know what will become of Sunandi. She is so fantastic, and I hope there's even more focus on her in The Shadowed Sun. You know how I like my powerful heroines.

The Killing Moon is a bit slow-moving and contemplative, but never did it drag for me. Jemisin will leave you thinking and perhaps inspire your dreams. I have the feeling this series is going to get better and better.

Note: You should also check out this review, because it's awesome: http://staffersmusings.blogspot.com/2....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killing Moon.

Quotes Christina (A Reader of Fictions) Liked

N.K. Jemisin
“Suffering is part of life,' she said. 'All the parts of life are jumbled up together; you can't separate out just the one thing.' She parred his hand again, kindly. 'I could let you kill me now, lovely man, and have peace and good dreams forever. But who knows what I get instead, if I stay? Maybe time to see a new grandchild. Maybe a good joke that sets me laughing for days. Maybe another handsome young fellow flirting with me.' She grinned toothlessly, then let loose another horrible, racking cough. Ehiru steadies her with shaking hands. 'I want every moment of my life, pretty man, the painful and the sweet alike. Until the very end. If these are all the memories I get for eternity, I want to take as many of them with me as I can.”
N.K. Jemisin, The Killing Moon

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ameriie (new) - added it

Ameriie I'm thinking of reading this one. I love epic fantasy (read a lot of adult epic when I was a kid), and I'm curious: any YA epic fantasy that you love, and also do you have the same pacing threshold for the world-building elements in YA fantasy?

Christina (A Reader of Fictions) Hmmm, I don't think I really know of any YA epic fantasy, unless you consider Melina Marchetta's Lumatere Chronicles YA. I think my threshold is pretty similar across length fantasies. I'm willing to put in the time as long as the characters get awesome eventually.

message 3: by Ameriie (new) - added it

Ameriie Christina (A Reader of Fictions) wrote: "Hmmm, I don't think I really know of any YA epic fantasy, unless you consider Melina Marchetta's Lumatere Chronicles YA. I think my threshold is pretty similar across length fantasies. I'm willing ..."

I'm going to check out Marchetta's fantasy eventually (so many books, so little time >_<). I'm making my way through Songs of Ice and Fire, which I adore, although I have to read them alongside other books since they're so long. Thanks for the suggestion!