Rebecca's Reviews > Dare to Die

Dare to Die by Carolyn Hart

Apr 17, 12

Read from April 05 to 17, 2012

"Dare to Die" is one of a series of novels featuring mystery book store owner, Annie Darling and her husband, Max. I read one of these years ago and only vaguely remember it. Basically it's about the perfect couple who have sex every morning living on an idyllic island where the people are salt of the earth -- and murderers run amok every 6 months or so to give Annie something to investigate. There's a cast of characters (trust me, the people in these novels have no resemblance to actual people) who dress in caftans, do competitive yoga, have deep personal relationships with their cats. They wander through the pages occasionally to give the book some 'color'.

There's supposedly a smart sheriff on the island, Billy, who warns Annie and Max to 'stay out of it' every time there's a murder and then ignores them as they go around contaminating evidence and tampering with witnesses.

Hart spent so much time focusing on what people are eating I began to wonder if she was on a diet while writing this book. The mystery here isn't much-- I spotted the killer on page 50.

Was it irredeemably horrible? No, but it wasn't very good either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dare to Die.