Thomas Trottier's Reviews > Your Own, Sylvia: A Verse Portrait of Sylvia Plath

M_50x66
Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: required
Read in April, 2012

It took awhile to get adjusted to the format, and when I finally did, I was on page 50. This was a very fast read and a great way to get high school students reading and thinking about poetry. Going into this book with very little knowledge about Sylvia Plath, it was interesting learning about her struggles and what she did for women everywhere. We spend so much time studying poets and authors from a century ago; this intimate biography made Sylvia more a real person than a foamous poet.

High school students often have trouble reading poetry. Actually, i have trouble reading poetry. Your Own, Sylvia was written in a way that the reader could think about the simple poems in connection to the footnote, which made understanding the poems much easier. This would be a great introduction to poetry for 9th grade students because it guides the reader through the story with the poems, rather than having the reader find a way to connect to a poem that stands alone.

Personally, this wouldnt be one that I would just pick up and read, but I consider it a solid teaching tool.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Your Own, Sylvia.