John Corwin's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Apr 05, 2012

it was ok

I can't add much to the other critical reviews on here except to say that this was like watching two people running side-by-side on treadmills as they look adoringly into each other's eyes to the exclusion of all else.

In other words, it's amazing for that couple but pretty much sucks for everyone else. It's like the time I took my best friend and his GF out and discovered the definition of "third wheel".

Boring. Uncomfortable. Awkward.

Sam didn't seem like a male of any sort to me. Even beta males have some defining male-ish-ness to them, but he seemed wimpy even by emo standards.

The biggest plot issue to me was the fact that:

a) Grace never turned into a wolf
b) Early on she mentions almost dying of the heat of the car her father left her in
c) Heat is often mentioned as being the only thing keeping the werewolves in human form
d) NOBODY makes this connection until almost the very end

I figured it out the very second she mentioned it. And then the remedy they come up with is so ludicrous that I burst into laughter when Isabella mentioned it.

I didn't care at all for Twilight, but my god, I was hoping Jacob would show up and kill these poser werewolves because these were the worst werewolves EVAR!! I read paranormal because I like to think, "oooh that'd be so cool if I could be a vampire and stalk girls by sneaking into their bedrooms even though I'm like a hundred years older than they are!"

But these werewolves don't have super strength, immortality, or anything cool except they can heal. But even then they get all scarred up! And who wants scarred up weak werewolves stalking them in their bedrooms? Nobody, that's who!

BUT for those who like Twilight, I can wholeheartedly recommend this!

I'm just obviously not the target for this novel. :D

6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

Comments (showing 1-18)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) Too funny. I liked it. I think it's more romance than anything else!

message 17: by John (new) - rated it 2 stars

John Corwin I suppose...romance to the exception of all else. Just not my cup o' tea! :)

Jennifer (random jendsmit) I thought this was ok but tried to read the next in the series and didn't make it through... but I agree it was all romance, not too much story - I'm probably not the target for this series either ;)

message 15: by Tami (new) - added it

Tami Great review. I've had this book on my bookshelf for a while now. Still curious about it, but don't think i'll be moving it up my TR list any time soon.

Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer LMAO John. Loved your review. I haven't read this series and probably won't waste my time now.....LOL.

Duchess Nicole Not even the Twi-fans all got into this trilogy. The premise was good for me, but the rest was so dark and dreary!
Good review. I'm glad I now know the REAL reason you read paranormal.

message 12: by John (new) - rated it 2 stars

John Corwin Because I'm weird?

message 11: by Aestas Book Blog (new)

Aestas Book Blog Bwahahahaaaaa great review John!!! I just snorted in a very unbecoming manner in public lol thanks :p

message 10: by Zeek (last edited Apr 13, 2012 09:26AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Zeek haha! You're too cute. (loved the bit about running on the treadmill).

I have this one in my tbr pile but havent worked up the enthusiasm to read it yet. Then again, I hated twilight so maybe, I never will.

John Corwin Public Snorting Contest 2012
John - 1
Aestas - 0

>;P

@Zeek - might not be your thang if you didn't like Twlight.

And thanks, I AM cute! Mainly 'cause I'm a wererabbit. ;P

Aestas Book Blog John wrote: "Public Snorting Contest 2012
John - 1
Aestas - 0"

*hangs head in shame* hahaha

★Ruth★ Oh.My.God that review cracked me the F up. Loved it. If the rest of your writing is this good I'll have to start stocking up. LMFAO.

John Corwin Thanks, Ruth!
If that tickles your fancy, maybe The Curse of Being a Beautiful Man will as well.

:D

★Ruth★ I'm already following John courtesy of all the gal's on BGC.
Very funny :D

Duchess Nicole John wrote: "Because I'm weird?"

No, it's your fascination with vampires and your wish to sneak into bedrooms. That's most likely a very popular fantasy >:-\

John Corwin Oh yeah!!

Duchess Nicole Hey, at least you're cute n cuddly, right? Rabbit fur is so...pettable. Just stop tricking me with the chocolate drops.

Felicia Hilarious...wish I'd seen this review before reading the book. *sigh*