Jim's Reviews > Ship Breaker

Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi

Apr 05, 2012

Read in April, 2012

Although categorized as YA, this book did not really feel 'that way' to me. The author's comments at the end of the book were particularly interesting in that he felt that there was very little YA content 'for boys' - something he was attempting to rectify. I think this title extends well beyond just young males, but I can see his reasoning. If you want boys to read, there had better be something out there that they'll enjoy beyond vampire-light love triangles.

Also, the author's comments about renewable energy generally sounding 'boring' I found interesting, in that he went a long way to make 'green' solutions sound sexy/cool to his audience (e.g., high altitude kite sails for 50+ knot hydrofoil vessels, etc.).

In any case, this was a solid read, well paced, and just the right length for the content. The author claims that he doesn't do a lot of world building, but I thought he did a very solid job (note that it's set in not-so-distant future after the global disasters, so a lot of imagination isn't needed). I found the characters to be solid, believable, and not over done.

I'd recommend this if you've got a chance - but I'd read the author's comments at the end first, as I really think they added to the experience. I'm looking forward to the next book in this world (not a part II, mind you), although it sounds somewhat darker.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ship Breaker.