Ashley's Reviews > The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values, and Spiritual Growth

The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck

Apr 05, 2012

Read in January, 2000

This is one of my favourite books simply because it shaped the way I thought about children and family.

Scott included a poem about children but couldn't remember where he read it (poem by Kahlil Gibran). I was 19 at the time and in a rush to have kids. After reading this book I delayed having kids until I was 30; which was the correct and healthy decision.

I emailed the following quote from the book to both of my daughters when they were born (I set up an email for both of my kids before they were born and write to them all the time):

"Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road Less Traveled.