Brenda Gail's Reviews > A Land More Kind Than Home

A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash

May 17, 12

bookshelves: cupcakes-war-reading-challenge-2012
Read from April 05 to 07, 2012

A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash is one of the best stories I have read in some time. It definitely is a "waking up with dark circles" worthy book to read!

I liked how the author chose to tell the story from three different voices - the young son, Jess; the sheriff of the small town, Clem; and Adelaide, a neighbor who knows everyone and everything that goes on - she helps the people in the town in many ways - she is the town midwife, watches the children at the church on Sundays, and allows others when needed to stay at her home.

This story is a heart-wrenching story about a dysfunctional mountainous town in North Carolina and a young family that lives there. Having two sons of my own and also having taught 9 year olds, I wanted to just enter the story to give a big hug to console Jess, the son with so much sadness and worry upon his young shoulders.

Wiley Cash through his phenomenal use of descriptive words was able to make me feel like I knew the characters personally. His vivid descriptions of the setting help to provide a visual of the setting.

I especially enjoyed the part when Jess finds the quiet box and all the contents that are inside of it. This quiet box was used by his mom to provide peace and solace for Stump. It brought me to tears.

I found it amazing how this so-called pastor could have such control over the members of the church. It brought back memories of the sect of Jim Jones and how he was able to coerce those at Jonestown to drink poisoned punch.

Wiley Cash needs to take a bow because I give him a standing ovation for his beautifully written debut novel. I highly recommend that you add this book to your list to read! You won't be disappointed.
A Land More Kind Than Home A Novel by Wiley Cash
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Land More Kind Than Home.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Brenda,

Thanks so much for the 5 stars and the wonderful review. It really means a lot that you took the time to read the book, much less write about it. Thanks again!

Brenda Gail You are welcome! As you can tell, your debut novel has become one of my favorites! Thank you for writing it. I look forward to reading your books to follow this one!

Brenda G. Spalding