Nate's Reviews > Traci Lords: Underneath It All

Traci Lords by Traci Lords

Aug 20, 08

bookshelves: 2009-and-earlier, autobiography-biography-memoir, non-fiction, do-not-own
Read in November, 2003

I had never heard of Traci Lords until I saw her on Oprah years ago, but there was something about her, and her life story that was really intriguing. I suppose a big part of it was wondering what type of childhood you must have to become a penthouse centerfold by the age of 16.

Not shockingly, it's an awful one; but her story presents more than just a never-ending series of horrific tragedies (although there is plenty of that). You get to know Traci and hear how she has dealt with and overcome her childhood while transitioning into an adult. Although I noticed myself thinking of her as she had appeared on Oprah, and I felt that added a dimension that complemented the book. So if it's possible, I'd recommend trying to find that interview before starting this one.

I noticed some of the other reviewers felt that she was whining or not taking responsibility for her actions. I didn't get that at all. Probably because the actions happened between the ages of 15-18, and it's unfair to hold a child to the same level of accountability as a full grown adult-especially given the circumstances and environment of her childhood (this poor girl did not have a chance).

So I liked her book and her honestly; and although the quality of writing left something to be desired, I appreciated that she wrote it herself rather than using a ghost writer.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Traci Lords.