Yawatta Hosby's Reviews > The Aberration

The Aberration by Bard Constantine

Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: horror
Read in April, 2012

I loved this 21 chapter book. The first sentence summed everything up perfectly–chaos. I liked that the story opened with the police being baffled about the crime scene. At the flour mill, an employee jumped to his death. They ruled it a suicide. Then the story ended with the police confused again. This time six dead. An explosion. Or was there really six people dead? You’ll have to read the story to find out.

I enjoyed that readers got a glimpse of the employees’ home life before heading in to work. It made me feel even more sorry about what happened to them. Rob was a manager that no one respected. If he told me I had to work right after hearing a co-worker died at the work place, I would say “hell no” and walk right out the door. No third shift for me that night. But they decided to go ahead–if not them, then someone else taking their paycheck.

They were told all they had to do was get through the night. What an understatement LOL! The terror rollercoaster began shortly after they all entered the flour mill and everyone else left. As a reader, I appreciated getting subtle clues that Guy was a part of the Aberration. Like the raven’s being scared of him, his flashbacks. I thought it was a cool aspect how he began getting his memory back in installments to try and help the gang out as much as possible.

This story was very action-packed with the short sentences keeping the energy flowing fast. I’m a fan of the author’s writing style. It reminded me of an Edgar Allan Poe creation; I loved the creepiness of it all. It frightened me from beginning to end to the point I had goosebumps, my hair stood on end, and I kept looking over my shoulder. Bard Constantine is very talented and has the gift of being very descriptive in his scenes that I could picture everything vividly. All the blood, guts, gore, nasty creatures. I could see this as a horror movie on the Chiller or AMC channel. Could even see Bruce Willis or Denzel Washington playing Guy’s character.

The creepiest scenes for me were 1) “So we hunt it…or it hunts us.” This is the point where they realize the killer is in the building locked in with them, so there’s no hiding or escaping. Gave me chills. I couldn’t even imagine 2) Drake on the walkie-talkie expressing that he believes he heard someone, and after a head count, they realize no one else left with him 3) when they find another co-worker literally shred to pieces 4) Drake swallowed up by darkness (a large spider web). Trust me, that there were plenty awesome moments. I rooted for the gang, but horror stories aren’t meant to have happy endings.

It was a nice surprise that Fran had a crush on Michael. Too bad that she was frumpy, but she had a great kick-ass moment where she got to injure an Other (the killer creatures). Whenever the humans were triumph, the Others would regroup then come back more powerful.

* Being from West Virginia, I liked the concept of them turning into moth creatures. It reminded me of the Mothman Prophecies. The imagery of them getting killed and bursting into white powder–it was amazing that it was described as snow fall. To contrast a beautiful moment with something so disgusting was brilliant.

If I could, I would tell every plot point, but I can’t give everything away. Just know that the story was very entertaining. And, it was a fast read with lots of suspense. Why oh why did some people decide to go off on their own instead of remaining with the one guy who had the idea of what dread they’d encounter? I would’ve been attached to Guy’s hip LOL.

I RECOMMEND this book to read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Aberration.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bard (new) - added it

Bard Constantine Again you have my thanks for taking the time to read and leave a review, Yawatta. I'm glad that you enjoyed the book.

Yawatta Hosby You're welcome Bard.

Keep smiling,