Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > American Sniper

American Sniper by Chris Kyle

Apr 12, 12

bookshelves: biography, history

This is without doubt an interesting and I believe a valuable book. I note several reviewers which note that the book isn't well written. This is somewhat true in that the writer makes use often of short declarative sentences. There are no literary flourishes no genteel turns of phrase. On the other hand the writing style is direct, clear and (again) interesting. The book is often much like reading a letter from a friend.

This story takes us into the training life, the professional life, and also the personal life of a SEAL (Sea, Air, and Land Teams). There are intersecting chapters where we hear from Kyle's wife. There is at least a bit of insight into both their thoughts and feelings. I suspect anyone who's ever been in a situation anything like this will be reminded of the struggle of someone else to understand what's in your mind while you try to grasp what's in theirs.

I'm tempted to say more, but I won't as I can't do justice in a review to what's covered in the book. It's I suppose that I've just finished it and it's in my mind.

You will probably come away from this book with your own impression of Chris Kyle, his life and his beliefs. And of course, his actions.

I have the greatest respect for him. We would be and I'm sure are different in many ways but in others we'd agree 100%. I've been in...friendly fights. I have badly damaged knees left that way I'm sure from a life time of heavy physical work. BUT the first major injury to my left knee was in a "friendly fight" with a Marine (a U.S.Marine) when I was in the army. He had me by four inches and a few pounds and when he threw me across the floor I shifted to to stop myself and get up...and turned my knee out sideways at a good 90 degrees. I never reported that injury but hobbled around for months lest I get in trouble for it. Oh well...(this was 1974, I was discharged in 1975) Anyway, all the best to Chris Kyle and his loved ones. I wish him and his family a wonderful life and hope he and his partners prosper.

I recommend this book. You will if you allow yourself an open mind find out things that have not been spoken of through most media outlets. They're not secret or classified, they just don't fit the picture most want to show. You'll learn of the comradery found in combat. You'll even learn that things like honor and patriotism aren't thought obsolete, naive or silly in all places. Not yet at least.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Sniper.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mike (the Paladin) I'm very sad today as Kyle has passed. He died helping another man suffering PTSD. For you among us who pray let's pray for his family and friends.

message 2: by Ethan (new) - added it

Ethan The man was a hero. Prayers go out to the family.