Giselle's Reviews > Alice in Zombieland

Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: arc, own, zombies, paranormal
Read from June 20 to July 06, 2012

OFF WITH HER HEAD!!

Alice in Wonderland with zombies? Not so much. Creative zombie ghosts lore (… you heard me. Zombie. Ghosts) with great humor and charming characters? Definitely!

Despite the title, Alice in Zombieland really has nothing much to do with Alice in Wonderland. There may be some scattered references, but it's really a unique story all on its own. While some may be disappointed, I wasn't terribly familiar with the specifics of the classic tale, so I found myself having a lot of fun with this non-retelling. Really, all I need are zombies. Wouldn't every fairy tale be much more interesting with zombies? I think so! :D

Charming, this book absolutely is! Which is funny to say for a zombie book. Ali leads this story with a tough, head held high attitude; she's feisty with a great sense of humor that I got a kick out of. Then we have her friend Kat who really completes the show. Spunky, wild, and lots of fun, Kat is a fabulous girl who I came to adore. She has a very attractive confidence and qualities that everyone would want in a best friend. Plus, she has secrets of her own that add depth to the story. And of course, we have boys; most prominently - Cole. The leader of the bad boys, Cole is sexy and fierce with a mysterious agenda of his own, and Ali hopes she won't regret putting her trust into him. His irksome attitude towards Ali motivates some pretty humoristic dialogue/banter between them; their opinions tend to clash more than harmonize. Let's just say, the tension between them is just as adorable as it is frustrating. While the romance isn't my favorite aspect of this novel--the constant back and forth between them can get a little exasperating--they do have great chemistry to work with.

Set at the perfect pace, the plot is centered around these zombies that are not your run of the mill zombies, these exist in the spirit world. While I love the traditional zombie, and at first I wasn't sure how I would enjoy this bizarre re-imagining, it's simply too creative to not have me fascinated by it all. I was a little confused with the specifics, however: Who can see them and who they can hurt exactly, is not made very clear. But we still have time to get into these details. Zombies: meet the Hazmats, a villainous company looking to experiment on your rotted ghost person! And their intentions? Duh duh duuuuuh! The Hazmats add a great mysterious edge to the plot which also opens up intriguing possibilities for its sequel. All of this adds up to a refreshingly unique little paranormal romance.

There is humor, there are zombies, there are witty characters, even the chapter titles are hilarious! What else do you need? Oh, and the sequel is called "Through the Zombie Glass". Win? Yes! Yes it does!

An advance copy was provided by the publisher for review.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog at Xpresso Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice in Zombieland.

06/20/2012 page 1
0.0% "I can't stop myself from taking just a peek at this one... Just a little peek... Right? *runs away clutching book*"
06/21/2012 page 47
15.0% ""He's a dirty man-whore cheating he-slut"
I love this book... I really do!" 3 comments

Comments (showing 1-34)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 34: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Tuccelli YOU rock MY face! <3

Giselle Kathryn wrote: "YOU rock MY face! <3"

FO SHIZZLE!!

Monika This sounds and looks good which I am hoping it actually is good :)

message 31: by Lori (new) - added it

Lori Gena Showalter knows how to write steamy scenes. I can't wait to see what she does with zombies. I can't to see your full review either. We seem to love the same books!!!

Giselle Actually there have been a couple super short but steamy (for YA) scenes already.

message 29: by Lori (new) - added it

Lori I figured she would push the boundries on that one. Well it will have to go on my YA-M shelf then.

Giselle Yep! Well I mean it's only hot kissing scenes. Nothing too explicit so far lol

Lisa {Silverlight} {Paranormal/Urban Fantasy Reviews} ""He's a dirty man-whore cheating he-slut"

F'in A! Now, I know it's going to be good!!!
Can't wait to see your full review...

message 26: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel Can't wait to read your full review on on this one. Your quote made me laugh.

TarynXO So jealous you are reading this right now! I hope it's just as great as it sounds ;)

message 24: by Vesra (new) - added it

Vesra (When She Reads) OH MY GOD. i'm jealous

message 23: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel I love the "off with her head line too!!!!!! I'm glad you enjoyed this book! looking forward to it.

Beth  (Curling Up With A Good Book) Oh I am SOOOO jealous!! I want to read this SOOO bad!!!

Sharon Can't wait to see your review Giselle! I am just about to start on this one..

Michelle  novelsontherun I LOVED this book! i thought it was very clever and COLE...he is rather yummy:)

message 19: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Buying this tomorrow! So glad you liked it :)

message 18: by ♥Rachel♥ (new) - added it

♥Rachel♥ I've been hearing a lot about Cole! I really must meet him. The plot sounds amazing too. I can't wait to see this re-imagining of zombies. Glad to hear the pace is excellent too. Wonderful review Giselle. :)

Giselle @Michelle: Cole is very... yummy yes, but also irritating >.< Makes for awesome banter!

@Jordan: Yay! I hope the one in store doesn't have the bright neon green like I saw on another edition on Goodreads. O_O

@Rachel: Oh I think you'll like Cole! And these zombies are pretty different! I liked the creativity! Thanks, Rachel! :)

message 16: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne Oooh I'll be reading this one soon. Can't wait :)

Giselle Yay! I hope you like it!

Beth  (Curling Up With A Good Book) It should be on my doorstep TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Giselle Awesome! It's so perty!!

Beth  (Curling Up With A Good Book) Yeah!! Im just finishing up the 2nd in the Graceling trilogy...Reading BitterBlue next...But I seriously think I am going to have to read Alice and THEN read BitterBlue!! I have been waiting for this one for way to long! and your quote "Off with their heads" has seriously stuck with me!! LOL

Michelle  novelsontherun Giselle, that is what I loved about Cole he wasn't your typical YA guy, there was enough to his character that he made the reader 'feel' and that is what I love. We all know he will end up with Alice, but it's the road that gets them there:D I LOVE KAT! I am a fan of Frosty too:D:D He will be fun and needs more air time:D

Mich

Giselle @Michelle: Yes Frosty was great, too! Kat was definitely my favorite though she was so awesome!!

@Beth: I've been meaning to read Fire for so long. I heard Bitterblue was a bit of a disappointment for some. Anyways, hope you like it :) That quote is the blurb on the cover ;)

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Thanks for the review!! adding it! :)

Shreya (CCReviews) YAY!!! I LOVED IT TOO GISELLE!:D

message 7: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Amazing review as usual Giselle! I hope to read it soon. :)

Giselle Thanks You!! I hope you all love it!!

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth Your review sealed the deal for me – Waterstones, here I come!

Giselle Yay! Hope you love it, Beth!

Jessika Theologus I agree so completely with you!! I read the book in less than 24hrs lol I absolutely cannot wait for the next =D

message 2: by Selina (new) - added it

Selina I LOVED this! I was somewhat hesitant going in because of the many bad reviews but I saw your review and decided oh what the hell. I am SO glad I read it! I loved this book and thank you sooo much for the review!! You hit it dead on!

Giselle Thanks Selina! So happy you gave it a try! :)