Crystal's Reviews > False Colours

False Colours by Georgette Heyer

Jun 25, 09

it was ok
bookshelves: historical-novels
Recommended to Crystal by: read other books by the author
Recommended for: only die hard Georgette Heyer fans
Read in June, 2009, read count: 1

wow, I had to WORK to get through this book. I love Georgette Heyer, and I know most of her books start out slow, so I persevered. way past the first few chapters, I was still persevering. I felt that way for most of the book. I LOVED Kit and Cressy, and some of the minor supporting characters were fun. I even eventually grew sort of fond of Lady Denville and Ripple. but I was also majorly frustrated with how frippery Lady Denville was and how mercurial the older twin, Evelyn was. there should have been so much more of Kit and Cressy, and less of everyone else, especially of their Mamma.
I finally realized, later in the book, that it was the dialogue that was killing me. it took FOREVER to say what the characters needed to say. while I realize that much of it set the plot up, the dialogue seemed to overwhelm the book, and drag it down, down, down.
there also seemed to be some confusion about the type of book. most of Heyer's novels that I've read so far are, if anything, a little too light weight. however, now I appreciate that more, after this book's mix and match efforts to provide background on characters and attempt to describe and/or analyze their motivations, while still trying to be a light hearted comedy of manners. Just as I was settling down to feel sorry for Lady Denville's miserable first marriage the book would try to amuse me, and then when I was enjoying frivolity (or conversation between Kit and Cressy), it would start talking again about why the characters behaved like they did. I like both approaches to writing, but, apparently, not combined in one book.
If you have not read Georgette Heyer, do not start with this one. there are so many better ones out there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read False Colours.

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie Just curious - I've noticed you've read a handful of Heyer books lately. Are you buying them or getting them from the library (or from somewhere else)? I'm just asking because I have bought maybe 5 or 6 of the new editions of her books just because they have sucked me in with gorgeous covers and nice floppy pages. I was wondering if I'm the only one getting sucked in in this way. :) Thank goodness for the employee discount...

Crystal I'm totally jealous of the employee discount! no, the pictures suck me in, but I just window shop--I am unemployed at the moment. I owned a few (don't know about you, but I have a huge assortment of books I own that I bought to read and will 'get around to sometime'). so I read one that I owned, and then another my mom sent me that she owned, and now I'm hooked. almost out of what the library can offer me, though. :(

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie Ahhhh. Yes, I made a pact with myself that for every library book I read, I have to read one of the unread books on my shelf. It's working so far, and means I can get rid of some of them if I didn't like them that much.

(I do buy a lot of books at work, but I also am a big bag-day-book-sale and yard sale person, so I get the majority of them that way, dirt cheap.)

Crystal haha! I try that. I also try, "you can't read anything else til you finish a non fiction book" since I have so many I want to read, but never get around to reading them, and just read my novels instead.
I love getting cheap or free books. do you do freecycle? that can be a good way to score free books. and if you are willing to part with any of the books you've read, paperback swap club is another great way to trade in books you don't want to keep for others you want to read. I'm all about the value deals! :)

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie Hmm, I'll have to check it out! I have only done BookMooch, but I find that unless you're looking for something really common (say, James Patterson's books or something) it's not very likely you'll find what you want. I've still found some neat stuff, though. Thanks for the recommendations!

Crystal well, PaperBack Swap Club can be the same way, with mostly popular books. you can kinda tell what books aren't any good, too, by the number of them posted as available. :) but I've found a hard to find book or two on there.