Kristen's Reviews > The Vanishing Violin

The Vanishing Violin by Michael D. Beil

F_50x66
Apr 05, 12

Read in April, 2012

For the most part, I enjoyed this book. I felt it was well written, had interesting puzzles, and was fast paced enough to keep me interested.

My typical read is fantasy, all age ranges, so this was a bit of a departure for me.

To be frank, however, I would prefer my 12 year old daughter not read this book, nor the first, and I won't be recommending them to her. I felt that the behavior of the characters was inappropriate for their ages. Children so frequently imitate what they see in popular culture, and this book is marketed to just that - children.

Perhaps Mr. Beil feels he has his finger on the pulse of the tween scene; perhaps he does and I'm the one being unrealistic. However, as adults and role models I believe that was have an obligation to provide this sensitive age with appropriate reading material.

If this is the "real world" then I think I'll be encouraging my daughter to stick to fantasy, something that is a reflection of the imagination and not a sub-culture of real life.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vanishing Violin.