Angelya (Tea in the Treetops)'s Reviews > Socialpunk

Socialpunk by Monica Leonelle

Apr 19, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction, dystopia, ya, reviewed
Read from April 12 to 16, 2012

This review was originally posted on The Oaken Bookcase, 19 April 2012. Visit to win awesome prizes (ends April 30)!

I really enjoyed reading this book – the action just keeps on rolling and I found it very difficult to stop reading!

At first, Socialpunk looks a lot like another YA dystopia I read recently, Divergent. Like Divergent, Socialpunk is set in a future Chicago, cut off from the rest of the world. There’s some jumping on trains and joining of social groups, here called a “hash” rather than a faction, but that’s really where the similarities ended.

Socialpunk is filled with interesting future tech – cybernetics, creative art directly from thoughts and food in pill form, to name but a few things. It’s a fascinating society as well, although we don’t get to hear as much about how it all works as I would have liked. What are the hashes for? Perhaps we’ll find out in the future books.

The story is action-packed and very compelling. I found the love polygon a little overdone for my tastes – it seems everyone is in love with someone else, but the relationships are all very sweet. Ima herself is a strong and determined girl with a past that makes her vulnerable. I do think that I’d put up a bit more of a fight if someone was trying to implant cybernetics in me, though!

Fans of high-tech dystopian stories will love Socialpunk. I know I’m looking forward to the next instalment, Socialmob, due for release in July 2012.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Socialpunk.

04/13/2012
04/15/2012
50.0% "Having trouble putting it down!"
04/16/2012
100.0% "Ha! That ending! Great story, when's the next one out?"