Sarah's Reviews > Charade

Charade by Cambria Hebert

May 26, 12

bookshelves: r2r-complete, read-2012, favourites-2012
Read from May 23 to 26, 2012

(Source: Purchased from amazon for only £1.92!)
This is book 2 in the ‘Heven and Hell’ series. **Warning** unavoidable spoilers for book 1 ‘Masquerade’.
So charade starts off where ‘Masquerade’ left off. Heven is now a supernatural treasure. She’s guarding the treasure map (scroll) and trying to avoid demons, whilst working at the ice-cream parlor and trying to spend time with Sam. Sam is still working multiple jobs whilst trying to look after Heven and his brother Logan, and things are still strained between Heven and her Mom, best friend Kimber, and Kimber’s boyfriend Cole.
Unfortunately for poor Heven, she keeps being attacked by Demons, and she’s still hasn’t got permission to go on the trip to Italy that she desperately needs to go on to return the scroll to the catacombs in Rome.

As if she hasn’t got enough to deal with with the demon attacks and the scroll, there are plenty of other surprises in store for Heven, with shocking revelations about Cole, Logan’s increasingly strange behaviour toward her, and her mother’s new boyfriend!

Add a fallen angel to the mix, a seriously hacked-off best friend, and a demon invading her head and Heven’s life is a seriously bumpy ride! Can she get the scroll back to where it belongs though? Why are so many people behaving so strangely towards her? And what sacrifices will need to be made for the greater good?

Wow! There is just so much going on in this book it’s difficult to know where to start!

Poor Heven is having a tough time of it, although she seems to be coping better with the removal of scars than she was. Sam is torn in two trying to look after both Heven and Logan, and Logan’s strange behaviour is beginning to concern him.

I really felt for Heven in this book, as she was trying so hard to be nice to people who really weren’t nice to her, and struggling to cope with some very strange behaviour from people. She was also strong enough to carry on no matter what the odds, whilst trying to help other people too.
I really didn’t like Logan. I thought he was shifty, and didn’t like the way he tried to come between Sam and Heven. I also disliked Heven’s mom and the way she was being nice to Heven again just because the scars were gone. I really can’t say how much Heven’s mom’s behaviour towards Heven annoys me. She should be supporting her daughter, not shipping her off to church camp!

I thought Sam’s voice was lost a little at times cause when I was reading his point of view I kept thinking that I was reading Heven’s point of view which confused me a little. Not sure why this was, but it just seemed like Heven’s character was bleeding into his a little, although this is probably to be expected a bit anyway because of the mind-bond between them anyway.

I was really surprised at the revelations (don’t want to give too much away) about Cole and Kimber, I really didn’t see them coming! Although I actually liked the one about Cole – I thought it really added to the story!

There were also some great lines in Charade, this being my favourite: "If you cannot breathe, I will breathe for you. If your heart will not beat, mine will beat harder. If you do not live, neither will I."
(Sam to Heven) I just Loved this line!

I have to say that I loved Charade right from the beginning. As soon as I started reading, Cambria’s wonderful writing style just put me right back into Heven and Sam’s little world, and I was entranced! To be honest I made this book last as long as possible just cause I didn’t want to finish it! I can’t wait for the next book ‘Tirade’!

Overall this was a book with and interesting storyline, plenty of twists and turns, shocking revelations, and sweet romance. Highly recommended to anyone who likes young-adult fiction.
9 out of 10.
(Book length: 8105 kindle locations.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charade.

Quotes Sarah Liked

Cambria Hebert
“If you cannot breathe, I will breathe for you. If your heart will not beat, mine will beat harder. If you do not live, neither will I.”
Cambria Hebert, Charade

05/23/2012
1.0% "I'm only a few pages in and I'm loving it already! It's like reading masquerade again cause the writing is so familiar! Love that Heven has a new look, and can't believe that her gran is letting her drive!"
show 1 hidden update…