Angie's Reviews > Freshman Year & Other Unnatural Disasters

Apr 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012-debut-author-challenge
Read in February, 2012

Originally posted at Beneath the Jacket:

This book is so freaking cute! I hope Meredith doesn't take offense to that because it's not an insult, it's a big compliment. With all the paranormal/supernatural/heavy YA books I've been reading, it's a nice change to read about a regular old fourteen-year-old girl doing fourteen-year-old things and making the mistakes of a fourteen-year-old. Kelsey and her friends are very believable characters right off the bat. While reading, I remembered myself hanging out with my friends talking about the same exact things Kelsey and her friends do; having the same worries. Sans the alcohol though. I was freaking straight-laced, yo (until I turned sixteen, haha!).

Meredith's writing is entertaining, witty and natural. Freshman Year had moments where I was cracking up. I'll specifically refer to a certain scene involving a beard, but that's all you'll get. It's a scene you don't want to be spoiled for, believe me. It doesn't just deal out the funny, though. The book also deals with issues like bullying, friendship, crushes, and betrayal (or what feels like betrayal to someone who's fourteen. See? This is why I like it so much!).

A warning for anyone concerned: there is a lot of under-age drinking in the book and some sexual talk. This was not my fourteen year old experience, but a friend of mine assures me I may be in a minority, haha. I guess at twenty-seven I have already, embarrassingly, become an old fuddy-duddy who wanted to parent and take the alcohol out of their hands. ;) So if this makes you uncomfortable, I would stay away for a bit.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freshman Year & Other Unnatural Disasters.