Anne's Reviews > The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

Apr 10, 12

Read from April 04 to 08, 2012

Wow. This was a Good Book, capital G, capital B. I really enjoyed a lot of it, I thought the characters were vivid and interesting (especially Sammy--he was a part of the comic book industry that never really occurred to me, the guy who planned out the stories and invented the characters, plus I thought his experience with Tracy Bacon and the gay community was fascinating), and I loved reading about the creative process of comic books. I liked that this book focused on an industry that is often overlooked or considered less artistic than other media, and also looked at pockets of history I wasn't aware of; for instance, I had no idea there were military actions in Antarctica during World War II before I read Kavalier and Clay, and now I know.

I will admit to skimming over some of the straight-up historical bits, or the biographies of characters I didn't care about. A friend of mine said that sometimes she found the writing "insufferable," and I agree with her. Those were the times when I was most conscious of Chabon's "achievement," the Good Book-ness of the whole thing. But overall I found the story and characters compelling, and I liked the way it was told very much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay.

04/04/2012 page 250
39.0% "I'm really liking this, but now I feel like I should have waited to read it until summer or when I get back to the States in August and have nothing to do for a month...oh well. Great writing."