Jenny's Reviews > Velveteen

Velveteen by Daniel Marks

May 06, 12

Read from May 03 to 06, 2012

I literally made it two pages into this book and I was just enthralled and horrified all at the same time. The story starts with Velveteen trashing Bonesaw's house, again. Soon after, she discovers another victim in his shed. She's angry and horrified and vows to try and help this girl escape.

The descriptions and the emotions depicted from being brutally murdered were intense and made my skin crawl. This is not a book for the faint of heart. I couldn't help but understand Velvet's anger and bitchiness. That's a lot of emotion and fear to die with.

Velveteen technically lives in purgatory and she isn't supposed to be visiting the "daylight" to haunt Bonesaw, but she kinda can't help it. If you get caught haunting, the consequences are to stay in purgatory forever.

As far as Velvet's character, I loved her. She was fierce and bitchy and determined. I felt like her character was so well fleshed out, that I understood her and cared about her.

As far as romance in the story, at first I was kinda iffy on it happening. It felt really fast without a ton of drawn out angst between the two characters (surprisingly). But then when they finally kissed, it felt right.

The only thing I wish was that more time was spent at Bonesaw's house. The story starts there but moves to stay mainly in purgatory.

Overall, Velveteen is a dark, thrilling tale that I definitely recommend.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Velveteen.

05/03/2012 page 186
40.0% "First chapter had me completely hooked."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emily (Falling for YA) Great review! This one is next up on my tbr shelf and now I can't wait to get started!!