Dayle's Reviews > Shadows in Flight

Shadows in Flight by Orson Scott Card

F 50x66
Apr 04, 2012

liked it

A series comes to an end, well, part of a series anyways. And I'll be up front, I can't decide whether I'm pleased or upset that Bean's story has come to a close.

I was always a bigger Bean fan than Ender, and I practically inhaled Shadow's 1-4 but I never really saw the need to have a #5. The closing of Shadow #4 was final, absolute and Shadows in Flight felt like it was reopening an old wound. I was torn because it's Bean, he's back! But the book moves fast and the reader soon realizes that it's not the same Bean, he's older, different. As well as a new set of characters and more details to wrap your mind around.

The story is sound, Card's writing is as good as ever and yes, I teared up at the end. But the entire novel felt unneeded and unnecessary, I got the feeling of violating something sacred while reading, but yet I couldn't put it down, I have to know.

Compelling, and nicely written, the novel leaves a giant opening at the end, so this may not really even be the end? And that's irritating, I see the potential for the two series being tied somewhere down the road, but unfortunately like most sci-fi, the series doesn't know when to stop.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows in Flight.