Lori's Reviews > Song of the Beast

Song of the Beast by Carol Berg

Aug 20, 08

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in June, 2008

Much like in Berg's "Transformation" the protagonist (Aidan) of the story is a person that has endured much before the book even starts. It begins with his release from prison, where he has been held for years and horrifically tortured for reasons he doesn't really understand. He's not a criminal, he's a bard and kin to the King... who apparently put him there in the first place. Unfortunately, Aidan's trials are soon revealed to be far from over and he finds himself on the run with unlikely allies and tied up in plots and machinations that began hundreds of years before he was born.

On the whole I thought this was a very good book. I believe it is one of Ms. Berg's first (if not the first) published works and if you compare it to her Bridge of D'Arnath series it's easy to see how she has grown as an author. She has a knack for description that didn't leave me wanting, but she didn't develop the world quite as much as I would have liked.

The point of view shifted several times, with the book split into clearly labeled sections so that you would know whose it was at any given time. I'm not certain why the shifts were necessary to tell the story. I don't think seeing the other characters' points of view was particularly revealing. It showed glimpses of their characterization but nothing more--and in one case it was pretty deceptive, and that annoys me a bit. A lot of the character shifts felt like filler and I was always eager to get back to what was going on with Aidan.

This is a standalone book and not part of an epic series, which some might consider a boon in this particular genre. I liked it enough that I don't regret the time I spent reading it and would recommend it to fantasy fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of the Beast.